skip to main content
Lost and found pets

You need to ensure your contact details up to date for your lost pet to be returned to you as quickly as possible.

  • Who should I contact if I have lost my dog or cat?
    If your animal has escaped or has failed to return home, please contact any of the nearest vets in the area and Sydney Dogs and Cats Home. Ensure you provide a good description of your pet and the microchip number, if possible.
  • What do I do if I find a cat?

    The Companion Animals Act 1993 (the Act) does not impose the same stringent restrictions on unattended cats as it does for the owners of dogs. As such an unattended cat may only be seized by someone, and if;

    • it is reasonable and necessary for the protection of any animal (other than vermin) from injury or death,

    • it is in a public place within 10m of a food preparation/consumption area,*

    • if it is in a wildlife protection area.*

    *for the cat’s own protection

    If you observe a cat, that while unattended meets any of the three points outlined above, please contact Council on 9330 6400 and make arrangements with an authorised officer to have the animal caught and either returned to its owner, taken to the Council pound or taken to an approved premises (please see the Approved Premises section of this page).

    Similarly if a cat trespasses on your property or may be unowned, it may only be seized in accordance with the three points listed above, otherwise a person or Council may not impound those animals.

    A penalty of up to $3300 applies if a person seizes an animal contrary to the Act.

  • What do I do if I find a dog?

    If you find a dog roaming or unattended, you should do the following as soon as possible.

    • Contact Council on (02) 9330 6400 to have an authorised Council Officer collect the dog. 

    Dogs are not permitted to be unattended when away from the property they are usually kept.

    The dog owner’s details will be obtained from the information linked on the implanted microchip. If the dog is correctly microchipped and the details are up to date, it will be returned to its owner where possible. Otherwise, it will be taken to our animal shelter.

  • Reclaiming your animal

    If you find that your animal is held at an approved premises or Council's pound, Sydney Dogs and Cats Home, any impounding fees must be paid when the animal is released. The following must be provided to prove you are the owner of the animal prior to the animal’s release.

    • Photographic identification card such as a driver’s license
    • If you are picking up the animal on behalf of an owner, a letter of authority from the owner is required before the animal can be released

    Animals that are not microchipped and/or not registered, will have to be microchipped and registered before they can be released.  

    A statutory declaration indicating that you are the legal owner of the animal may be required before the animal can be microchipped and released to you.

    If an animal is not collected by its owner or someone on their behalf, it may be rehomed if

    • Not microchipped and housed at the pound for 7 days
    • Microchipped and held at the pound for 14 days.
  • Approved premises
    Beverly Hills Animal Hospital
    158 Stoney Creek Road, Beverly Hills 2209
    9580 3109

    Blakehurst Veterinary Hospital
    1002 King Georges Road, Blakehurst 2221
    9098 9134

    St George Animal Hospital
    325 Princes Highway, Carlton 2218
    9587 3599

    Sydney Dogs and Cats Home
    77 Edward Street, Carlton 2218
    9587 9611

    Princes Highway Vet Hospital
    30 Princes Highway, Kogarah 2217
    9588 2088

    Greencross Vets - Mortdale
    42 Pitt Street, Mortdale 2223
    9580 6910

    Boundary Road Vet Hospital
    121 Boundary Road, Peakhurst 2210
    9584 9608
  • What do I do if I find another animal?

    Council Officers are only permitted to seize certain animals under the Impounding Act if found unattended in a public place. These animals are cattle, horses, donkeys, mules, asses, camels, sheep, goats, pigs and deer.
    If any other non-native animal is found on public or private land, please contact the RSCPA or another animal rehoming organisation.

    WIRES should be contacted for any native animals.

    Please note that any animal that has been found injured, should be taken to the nearest vet for treatment.

  • Who do I call if I find a dead animal?
    For any deceased animal located on public land, Council may be contacted to have the animal collected. Any deceased cats or dogs will be scanned and if correctly identified, the owner will be notified.

    Any deceased animal located on private land will be the responsibility of the occupier of that land.

Did you find this content useful?

Your feedback allows us to measure our customers' satisfaction with our website content.

If you wish to raise a particular issue with us, we recommend you raise a Customer Service Request. This will ensure your matter is scheduled with the appropriate teams and will allow you to track the progress of the issue.

Thank you for your feedback.