skip to main content
Frequently asked questions

We have compiled some frequently asked questions concerning parks and reserves. Please click on the relevant item below to read more information.ant item below to read more information.

  • Can I book a shelter or picnic table in a Georges River park/reserve?

    Council does not take bookings for the shelters and picnic tables in any of our parks or reserves. This includes Carss Bush Park.

    These facilities can be used on a first come, first served basis. Carss Bush Park is busy on weekends and it is best to get in early.

  • What about weddings?

    Some parks and reserves are available for small wedding ceremonies and photographs. A maximum of 10 chairs and a celebrant's table are permitted. Structures such as arches and stages, carpet aisles, decorations, confetti, rice, alcohol, flames and fireworks or commercial activities are not permitted for these functions.

    Council Parks and Reserves are public land, as such, exclusive use of any area is not assured.

    To make a booking for a wedding please fill out our Casual Use of Parks form.

    All fees related to booking a park can be found in Council’s fees and charges.

  • What about school picnics?

    Council will take bookings for school picnic days, mid-week only for more than 50 students.

    If you wish to book a park, you can do so through the Casual Use of Park form.

    All fees related to booking a park can be found in Council’s fees and charges.

  • Can I have a jumping castle in the park?
    Council does not permit the use of any of the following in our parks/reserve:

    - jumping castles
    - bubble soccer
    - mechanical rides
    - animal farms/petting zoos
    - reptile and snake shows
    - other hired amusements

    Fairies, clowns, face painters are allowed. It is advised any company offering these services have adequate public liability of $20 million.

    The only exception to this is for large events managed by Council, such as Australia Day where risk management plans and insurances can be put in place.
  • What about tents and marquees?

    Small tents or marquees are allowed. These should be hand carried into any park and should not be commercially hired or set up by a commercial operator.

    Tents or marquees should be sufficiently weighed down, such that they can not blow away in the event of strong winds.

    Use of stakes or pegs is strictly prohibited, due to the presence of underground services such as irrigation and electricity.

  • Can I take my own BBQ?

    Portable barbecues are permitted as long as they are used within designated barbecue areas and must be carried into the park by hand. If there is no designated barbecue area within a park, barbecuing is not permitted.

    When using a portable barbecue it must be a minimum of 50cm from ground level. Barbecues that sit on the ground are strictly prohibited.

    Barbecuing during a total fire ban is not permitted. It is the responsibility of the owner/user of the barbecue to check the Fire Danger Rating with the NSW Rural Fire Service. They can be contacted on 1800 679 737 or online at NSW Rural Fire Services page.

    All waste must be disposed of appropriately. The dumping of coals, oil, rubbish and other materials may result in penalties.

    Council will take steps to recover costs should damage occur to the park or reserve as a result of bringing your own barbecue.

  • Can I take my charcoal BBQ into your parks?

    You can only use this type of barbecue in parks where Council has installed hot coal bins.  These bins have been specifically designed for the safe disposal of hot coals from charcoal barbecue.

    Charcoal bins can be found in the following parks below. 

    - Carss Bush Park
    - Dover Park East
    - Sans Souci Park

  • Can I drink alcohol in the parks?
    From sunset to sunrise, alcohol is prohibited in the following parks:
    Edgbaston Road Reserve Beverly Hills
    H.V. Evatt Park Lugarno
    Keppel Avenue Reserve Webb Street, Riverwood
    McGowan Reserve Renway Avenue, Lugarno
    Oatley Park Oatley
    Ruby Wing Reserve Universal Street, Mortdale
    Stevens Reserve Gungah Bay Road, Oatley
    Woodville Park Hudson Street, Hurstville

    All other Council parks are designated Alcohol Free Zones. Alcohol Free Zones are in operation 24 hours a day and prohibit the consumption of alcohol at any time within these zones.
  • Can I hold an event in a park?

    Activities that are not of a sporting nature, but require use of a park are likely to be an event, and all queries should be forwarded to Council’s  Events team – this includes, but is not limited to:

    - Christmas carols
    - Markets
    - Dog shows
    - Concerts
    - Cultural celebrations
    - Gala days for sporting clubs

    Customers will be required to complete an Event Application form a minimum of 12 weeks prior to their event. This allows Council sufficient time to conduct risk assessments, collect insurance, apply for permits, notify surrounding residents and any other necessary actions required to successfully stage an event.

  • I need to get access through a council park?
    Residents or contractors requiring vehicle access through a park or reserve must complete the access through Council parks and reserves form, listing type, size and weight of all vehicles, and why they are unable to enter through the front of the property.

    Public liability insurance documentation must be provided from the engaged contractors and a bond will be required to be paid.
  • Can I book the synthetic sports fields?
    Synthetic sports fields are located at Peakhurst Park, Poulton Park and Vanessa Street Courts. These are Council owned facilities, managed by external operators. These facilities can be booked through the following channels:

    Peakhurst Park and Poulton Park

    St George Football Association
    P: 9556 3055

    Vanessa Street Courts

    Soccer de Brazil
  • Where can I let my dog off-leash?

    Dog owners have access to 9 off-leash dog parks in the Georges River area, where dogs can run, exercise and socialise leash-free with other dogs and visitors. Our off-leash parks include fenced and unfenced areas and are open all year round. If you use these parks, you are responsible for cleaning up after your pet.

    Designated areas are provided within the following parks:

    - Arrowsmith Park
    - Carss Bush Park
    - Lower Gannons Park
    - H.V. Evatt Park
    - Hogben Park
    - Kogarah Park
    - Moore Park
    - Moore Reserve  
    - Riverwood Park

    Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times when they are not in a designated leash free area.

    More information on animals and pets can be found on the animals and pets page.

Did you find this content useful?

Your feedback allows us to measure our customers' satisfaction with our website content.

If you wish to raise a particular issue with us, we recommend you raise a Customer Service Request. This will ensure your matter is scheduled with the appropriate teams and will allow you to track the progress of the issue.

Thank you for your feedback.
Georges River Council Live Chat

Welcome to Georges River Council. How can we help?