Animals and Pets

Rangers investigate issues such as:

  • Animal attacks

  • Barking dogs

  • Dogs and cats causing a nuisance

  • ​Dogs and cats in prohibited areas

  • Unattended dogs

  • Unreasonable aggression.

All dogs and cats are required to be microchipped prior to a change of ownership or before the animal is 12 weeks old. They also need to be registered with Council by six months of age. 

Registration of a companion animal must be completed once they have been microchipped. Regulatory action may be taken where an animal has not been correctly identified.

Learn more about registering your cat or dog.

For more information on keeping of other animals, please contact Council's Rangers.

Provide feedback on our new website
Was this page helpful?:*


We monitor all feedback and endeavour to use your comments to improve our website. Please include your email address.

 Security code

9330 6400

24 hours, 7 days a week

Email us at: mail@georgesriver.nsw.gov.au
Language Assistance Service
Georges River Civic Centre
Corner MacMahon and Dora Streets, Hurstville
Open: 8.30am - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday

Kogarah Library and Service Centre
Kogarah Town Square, Belgrave Street
Open: 8.30am - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday
After-hours Customer Service available
at Hurstville Library
5.00pm - 9.00pm, Monday to Friday
9.30am - 4.00pm, Saturday and Sunday

Georges River Council acknowledges the traditional custodians of the land in which the Georges River Local Government Area is situated - the Biddegal people of the Eora nation.
© Copyright Georges River Council
© Copyright Georges River Council