Activities on Public Land

Section 68 Approvals 

Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 covers many types of activities that require Council's approval, including:

  • Managing waste in a public place
  • Operating a public car park
  • Carrying out stormwater drainage works
  • Street awnings and signs
  • Installing or operating an amusement device.
  • Hoarding and Scaffolding

Further information, guidelines and application forms on carrying out any of these works is listed below.

Roads and Footpaths

Separate approval is required under Section 138 of the Roads Act 1993 and Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 for any of the following activities carried out in, on or over a public road (including the footpath) listed below: 

To obtain approval for any of the above activities, please contact us

Your feedback allows us to measure our customer's satisfaction with our website content.

If you wish to raise a particular issue with us, we recommended you raise a Customer Service Request. This will ensure your matter is scheduled with the appropriate teams and will allow you to track the progress of the issue.


We monitor all feedback and endeavour to use your comments to improve our website. Please include your email address.


Did you find this content useful?

Thank you for your feedback.