Complying Development Certificates

Before commencing any building work or changing the use of a premise, approval is required either via a Development Application and Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate (CDC), unless the work or use is specifically permitted to be carried out as Exempt Development.
A CDC combines approval for use of the land and the building construction works. It is basically, a fast-track single-stage approval process, which requires only a CDC to be obtained from a Council or Private Certifier
If all of the criteria, requirements and standards relating to the proposed building or use are satisfied via an application containing relevant plans, specifications and supporting information, a Council or Private Certifier will issue a Complying Development Certificate.
Full details of the types of buildings or uses that can be approved as Complying Development can found in State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

For example, some of the types of development listed as complying development include:

  • internal or external alterations and/or additions to dwelling houses
  • carports, garages and car spaces
  • shade structures, conservatories, awnings and pergolas
  • new dwelling houses
  • fences and retaining walls 
  • swimming pools and spas
  • internal alterations to commercial and industrial buildings
  • shop or office fit-outs, shop-fronts and awnings
  • certain types of land and strata subdivision
  • changes of certain commercial and industrial uses
  • demolition of certain buildings
  • temporary structures and marquees
  • fire safety upgrading work 

In some cases, residents of adjoining or nearby properties are required to be notified of the commencement of a proposed complying development for a dwelling. This notification is to encourage consultation between neighbours and resolution of any concerns that may be raised. However, the provisions do not require the owner or Certifier to consider or address any submissions or, to modify the proposal if the relevant requirements are met.

A standard condition of the CDC, requires a sign to be erected in a prominent position on the site showing the phone number and contact details of the builder and Certifier.
All complaints relating to the site are to be directed to the Certifier (Council or Private) engaged to manage the site from the issue date of the CDC through to the Occupation Certificate.
Where the site is managed by a Private Certifier and your complaint has not been satisfied please contact the regulatory authority for private certifiers, the Building Professionals Board on 9873 8537 or bpb@bpb.nsw.gov.au Further details about individual

Certifiers can be found by using the certifier search.



Provide feedback on our new website
Was this page helpful?:*
 Security code

9330 6400

24 hours, 7 days a week

Email us at: mail@georgesriver.nsw.gov.au
Language Assistance Service
Georges River Civic Centre
Corner MacMahon and Dora Streets, Hurstville
Open: 8.30am - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday

Kogarah Library and Service Centre
Kogarah Town Square, Belgrave Street
Open: 8.30am - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday
After-hours Customer Service available
at Hurstville Library
5.00pm - 9.00pm, Monday to Friday
9.30am - 4.00pm, Saturday and Sunday
© Copyright Georges River Council
© Copyright Georges River Council