skip to main content
Step 1 - Does your development require approval?

If your development is of a minor nature, you may not require approval to carry out the work and it may be exempt development. Council and the NSW Government have adopted policies that specify minimum criteria you must satisfy in order to not require an approval from Council. If your proposal falls outside the minimum criteria, you may be able to obtain approval through Council or private Certifier as a Complying Development Certificate.

To find out if your development can be approved, please refer to the Complying Development web page or the Department of Planning and Infrastructure web page. Council also has a Complying Development Service which is a fee based service where our Accredited Certifiers can determine if your proposal is Complying Development or requires a Development Application.

If your proposal is not exempt from approval or Complying Development, you will then need to lodge a Development Application on the NSW Planning Portal.

Did you find this content useful?

Your feedback allows us to measure our customers' satisfaction with our website content.

If you wish to raise a particular issue with us, we recommend you raise a Customer Service Request. This will ensure your matter is scheduled with the appropriate teams and will allow you to track the progress of the issue.

Thank you for your feedback.