skip to main content
Lost and found pets

You need to ensure your contact details up to date for your lost pet to be returned to you as quickly as possible.

  • Who should I contact if I have lost my dog or cat?
    If your animal has escaped or has failed to return home, please contact any of the nearest vets in the area and Sydney Dogs and Cats Home. Ensure you provide a good description of your pet and the microchip number, if possible.
  • What do I do if I find a cat?

    The Companion Animals Act 1993 (the Act) does not impose the same stringent restrictions on unattended cats as it does for the owners of dogs. As such an unattended cat may only be seized by someone, and if;

    • it is reasonable and necessary for the protection of any animal (other than vermin) from injury or death,

    • it is in a public place within 10m of a food preparation/consumption area,*

    • if it is in a wildlife protection area.*

    *for the cat’s own protection

    If you observe a cat, that while unattended meets any of the three points outlined above, please contact Council on 9330 6400 and make arrangements with an authorised officer to have the animal caught and either returned to its owner, taken to the Council pound or taken to an approved premises (please see the Approved Premises section of this page).

    Similarly if a cat trespasses on your property or may be unowned, it may only be seized in accordance with the three points listed above, otherwise a person or Council may not impound those animals.

    A penalty of up to $3300 applies if a person seizes an animal contrary to the Act.

  • What do I do if I find a dog?
    If you find a dog roaming or unattended, you should as soon as possible either:
    • Where you are able to take the animal to Council's pound - Contact Council on 9330 6400 to make arrangements with an authorised Council Officer and then take it to Sydney Dogs and Cats Home (Council's Pound) at 77 Edward Street, Carlton, PH: 9587 9611.

    • Where you are unable to take the animal to Council's pound - Call Council’s Customer Service Centre on 9330 6400 who will arrange for Council’s Animal Management Contractor to collect  the animal and either return it to its owner or take it to Council’s pound.

    Dogs are not permitted to be unattended when away from the property on which they are ordinarily kept.

    The dog owner’s details may then be obtained from the details linked to the implanted microchip, if it has been correctly microchipped and the details are up to date, and returned to its owner if possible otherwise it will be taken to our animal shelter.

  • Reclaiming your animal

    If you find that your animal is held at either an approved premises or Council's pound, Sydney Dogs and Cats Home at 77 Edward St Carlton, any impounding fees must be paid when the animal is released and the following must be provided to prove you are the owner of the animal prior to the animal’s release;

    • Photographic identification card e.g. driver’s license,

    • If you are picking up the animal on behalf of an owner, a letter of authority from the owner is required before the animal can be released

    Animals that are not microchipped** and/or not registered, will have to be microchipped/registered before they can be released.  

    **A statutory declaration indicating that you are the legal owner of the animal may be required before the animal can be microchipped and released to you.

    If an animal is not collected by its owner or someone on their behalf, it may be rehomed if;

    • not microchipped and housed at the pound for 14 days, 

    • microchipped and held at the pound for 7 days.

  • Approved premises
    Beverly Hills Animal Hospital
    158 Stoney Creek Road, Beverly Hills 2209
    9580 3109

    Blakehurst Veterinary Hospital
    1002 King Georges Road, Blakehurst 2221
    9098 9134

    St George Animal Hospital
    325 Princes Highway, Carlton 2218
    9587 3599

    Sydney Dogs and Cats Home
    77 Edward Street, Carlton 2218
    9587 9611

    Princes Highway Vet Hospital
    30 Princes Highway, Kogarah 2217
    9588 2088

    Greencross Vets - Mortdale
    42 Pitt Street, Mortdale 2223
    9580 6910

    Boundary Road Vet Hospital
    121 Boundary Road, Peakhurst 2210
    9584 9608
  • What do I do if I find another animal?

    If the animal is not injured, not a native animal and the owner can’t be located, it should be taken to the nearest public pound within 48 hours. Council's Pound is located at Sydney Dogs and Cats Home, 77 Edward Street, Carlton NSW 2218, 9587 9611.

    WIRES should be contacted for any native animals.

    Council Impounding Officers may only legally seize the following types of animals if found unattended in a public place; dogs, cats, cattle, horses, donkeys, mules, asses, camels, sheep, goats, pigs and deer.

    If you find any other animal in a public place, please take it to Council's pound.

    NB. Vets are under no obligation to accept an animal that has been found that is uninjured.

  • Who do I call if I find a dead animal?
    For any deceased animal located on public land, Council may be contacted to have the animal collected. Any deceased cats or dogs will be scanned and if correctly identified, the owner will be notified.

    Any deceased animal located on private land will be the responsibility of the occupier of that land.

Did you find this content useful?

Your feedback allows us to measure our customers' satisfaction with our website content.

If you wish to raise a particular issue with us, we recommend you raise a Customer Service Request. This will ensure your matter is scheduled with the appropriate teams and will allow you to track the progress of the issue.

Thank you for your feedback.
Georges River Council Live Chat

Welcome to Georges River Council. How can we help?