Resolving Tree Disputes

Disputes about pruning or removing trees must be resolved between neighbours. 

Ask your Neighbour

Firstly, it is important to ask your neighbour to prune or remove the tree. If your neighbour agrees to removing a tree, they will need to complete and return Council’s Development Application for approval.

Approval From Council

You can apply to Council for approval to prune branches overhanging your property. If permission has been granted, pruning should be undertaken within your property unless the neighbour permits access.

Your neighbour’s consent is also required where overhanging branches are to be pruned back further than your boundary. It is a matter between the residents to decide who removes and pays for works to be completed.

Seek Mediation

If your neighbour does not agree with your proposal, or you cannot agree on who is responsible for paying pruning or removal costs, you can seek mediation. Trained mediators can help neighbours achieve an outcome that is satisfactory to all parties. This service is provided by a Community Justice Centre.


Your feedback allows us to measure our customer's satisfaction with our website content.

If you wish to raise a particular issue with us, we recommended you raise a Customer Service Request. This will ensure your matter is scheduled with the appropriate teams and will allow you to track the progress of the issue.


We monitor all feedback and endeavour to use your comments to improve our website. Please include your email address.


Did you find this content useful?

Thank you for your feedback.