Application Guide

A Development Application (DA) is required for most developments undertaken in the local area, unless it is regarded as minor or small scale.
When approving a Development Application, we consider:

  • Any submissions

  • How the development will affect the local area

  • Relevant planning controls and conditions

  • Public interests

  • Suitability of the site.

To receive approval, you must lodge a DA with Council using the DA checklist and reviewing the Electronic Lodgement of Development Application Fact Sheet

Before you start your development application, contact our Development Enquiry Officer for advice on: 

  • Exempt and complying development

  • Which planning controls apply to your property

  • An explanation of Council’s planning controls

  • What information will need to be submitted with your Development Application

  • Other matters you will need to consider when designing your proposal.

Minor Development Advice Service

This free service is aimed at small scale residential projects where potential applicants will have an opportunity to meet with senior Council staff to discuss their proposal.

The meetings can be booked by contacting Council.

Before the meeting, you should:

  • Prepare preliminary plans or sketches

  • Read Council’s planning controls in our Local Environmental Plan and Development Control Plan

  • Prepare any questions you have

  • Lodge your plans and supporting information in advance via our online booking service. By giving Council your information before the meeting, it will give the Officer a chance to review the proposal in more detail to provide you with more accurate and detailed advice.

Pre-Application Consultation

A formal pre-application consultation is recommended for all medium-large scale developments. Meetings can be organised by completing the Pre-Development form and submitting it along with the required supporting documentation.  Once lodged, the application will be allocated to a Development Assessment Officer who will arrange a meeting.

Exempt and Complying Development

Exempt development is minor development which has minimal effect on the local neighbourhood. Complying development is small-scale, low impact development which requires a Complying Development Certificate (CDC). Please contact us for further information on these types of developments.

Provide feedback on our new website
Was this page helpful?:*
 Security code

9330 6400

24 hours, 7 days a week

Email us at: mail@georgesriver.nsw.gov.au
Language Assistance Service
Hurstville Service Centre
Corner MacMahon and Dora Streets, Hurstville
Open: 8.30am - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday

Kogarah Library and Service Centre
Kogarah Town Square, Belgrave Street
Open: 8.30am - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday
After-hours Customer Service available
at Hurstville Library
5.00pm - 9.00pm, Monday to Friday
9.30am - 4.00pm, Saturday and Sunday
© Copyright Georges River Council
© Copyright Georges River Council