Noise Pollution

Excessive noise can cause tension within the community and grievances between neighbours. The list below includes examples of types of noise which can affect the quality of life of those who live locally:  

Source of noise Time restrictions
Power tools and equipment including:
  • Chainsaws
  • Circular saws
  • Electric or pneumatic tools
  • Gas or air compressors
  • Lawn mowers and leaf blowers
  • Swimming pool or spa pumps
Before 8.00am and after 8.00pm on Sundays and public holidays.
Before 7.00am and after 8.00pm on any other day *.
Musical instruments or sound equipment including:
  • Radios
  • Televisions
  • Sound systems
Before 8.00am and after midnight on any Friday, Saturday, or the day before a public holiday. 
Before 8.00am and after 10.00pm on any other day. 
Air conditioners and heat pump water heaters Before 8.00am and after 10.00pm on weekends and public holidays.
Before 7.00am and after 10.00pm on any other day. 
Motor vehicles (apart from normal entry and exit from residential premises)
Before 8.00am and after 8.00pm on weekends and public holidays
Before 7.00am and after 8.00pm on any other day.

* Council's cleaning services are exempt from these guidelines.

Neighbourhood Noise 

If you are affected by neighbourhood noise, there are several things you can do: 

Talk to people

Often people do not realise they are causing a noise nuisance and are willing to work with you to resolve the problem.

Contact a Community Justice Centre

If the noise continues, you can contact a Community Justice Centre. This government-funded independent organisation specialises in settling difference between neighbours without entering complicated legal processes. 

Contact the police or Council

You can contact the police or Council under the NSW Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997. Both Council and NSW Police may be able to assist you with your noise issue. When contacting Council about a noise problem, you may be required to keep a noise diary to assist with the investigation. St George Local Area Command (Police) can be contacted on 8566 7412.

Obtaining a noise abatement order

If you are continuously being affected by a source of noise, you can take independent action by seeking a noise abatement order from the courts.

Provide feedback on our website
Was this page helpful?:*


We monitor all feedback and endeavour to use your comments to improve our website. Please include your email address.

 Security code