A
A+
Historical Markers Program

The Historical Markers Program has been developed in response to requests from the community to recognise places of historical and cultural importance. Council receives many such requests throughout the year and they will be managed through this program to ensure a consistent and accurate approach. This program takes inspiration from both the London Blue Plaques Scheme and the City of Sydney Green Plaques program. Each year Council will fund and install up to five new historical markers. 

Applications are now open for the 2019 Historical Markers Program and can be submitted via this application form.  Applications close on Monday 18 February 2019.

2018 Georges River Council Historical Markers 

Following the closing of nominations for the 2018 Georges River Council Historical Marker Program, submissions received were reviewed by the selection panel and recommendations were reported to the General Manager.

On 1 May 2018, the General Manager approved for the following five submissions to receive a Georges River Council Historical Marker at their respective sites (shown below by teal circles):

2018_Marker_map-(1).png

Sans Souci Hotel (1843-1921) – Bass and Flinders Cruises carpark, Rocky Point Road, Sans Souci

The Sans Souci Hotel, then named Rocky Point, was built circa 1842 by Robert and Catherine Cooper from local stone and tress that were hand sawn. Thomas Holt leased the property and renamed it Sans Souci after Frederick the Great’s summer palace in Potsdam, which was also his wife’s birthplace. Thomas Holt leased the property as a family hotel.

It is culturally significant for developing the local community as a holiday and picnic site for residents of the surrounding areas. It provided a recreational and social facility in the isolated area with accommodation, a small racecourse, cricket ground, boat hire and a place to swim and fish.

Although Sans Souci Hotel was located near the current location of the Captain Cook Bridge and the carpark of Bass and Flinders Cruises, the suggested location of the marker would be in the nearby Sans Souci Park. The park was a part of the hotel grounds and is Council owned land.

 

Michael Gannon – Early convict and settler – Forest Road, Hurstville

Michael Gannon was the original land developer of the Hurstville area, leasing land to timber cutters to take along Forest Road to the city, as well as subdividing the land and the backbone of how the community developed. He is credited with the previous name for Hurstville, Gannon’s Forest, which included the Gannon’s Forest Post Office, cemetery, Gannons Forest Road and an application to build a school.

It is recommended to place a marker near the site of the Gannon’s Forest Post Office which was located near the corner of Forest Road and Kenwyn Street.

 

Robert Kyle – Shipbuilder and namesake of Kyle Bay – Merriman Reserve, Kyle Bay

Kyle Bay was named after local shipbuilder Robert Kyle, after the land surrounding current Kyle Bay area was granted to Robert Kyle and James Merriman in 1853. Kyle and Merriman built their shipbuilding business along the area of the bay, becoming an important mercantile business in the area between 1854 and 1873. Robert Kyle built a home on the eastern part of the bay which still stands. This house became known as Kyle Williams House and was a convalescent home for children during 1948-1983.

The naming of Kyle Bay after Robert Kyle, as well as several local streets and parks, reflects the cultural and historical significance the Kyle family made to business in the local area.

It is recommended that a marker be placed in Merriman Reserve.

 

Joe Anderson (King Burraga) – Indigenous activist – Ogilvy St, Peakhurst

Joe Anderson, also known as King Burraga, was an Aboriginal activist and important leader in not only the local Aboriginal community, but also to the wider community through the spreading of his message by the then new technology of film with sound.

Joe Anderson was filmed on the banks of Salt Pan Creek in 1933, delivering a message for the people of Australia to acknowledge Aboriginals as the land’s oldest culture and for Aboriginals to be represented in the Federal Parliament. In the footage, Anderson also declares a plan to petition the King of England and calling for equal rights and justice for Aboriginal Australians.

A marker currently sits in Charm Place, Peakhurst recognising that an Aboriginal camp was located on Salt Pan Creek. This marker commemorating Joe Anderson is recommended to be placed near the end of Ogilvy Street, Peakhurst which is closer to the site of Ellen Anderson’s (Joe’s mother) land, and the site of his historically significant filmed speech.

 

Mervyn 'Merv' Lynch OAM

Former Hurstville Councillor who served for over 20 years from 1980 until 2004, where he was Mayor (1991-1992) and Deputy Mayor (1985-1986, 1990-1991, 1999-2000). He was also the Chairman of Hurstville Council’s Senior Citizens Management, and very active in the local community particularly with aged care, sporting and church groups. He was recognised for his service to local government when he was awarded the Medal of the order of Australia in 2007.

It is recommended that a marker be placed in Penshurst Park, as Merv was an indelible figure in the Penshurst as well as the wider Georges River LGA.

Please see Georges River Council’s Historical Markers Policy for more details.

For more information contact Council’s Cultural Development Officer on 9330 9580 or email arabella.lee@georgesriver.nsw.gov.au


Provide feedback on our website
Was this page helpful?:*
 



 

 
We monitor all feedback and endeavour to use your comments to improve our website. Please include your email address.

 
 Security code