skip to main content
Frequently Asked Waste Questions
  • What time of the morning are my bins emptied?

    Waste collection services are classed as essential services and are provided in accordance with specific safety compliance. Waste services are often completed early in the morning before the presence of heavy traffic and pedestrians. Further, some sites require access at a specific time of day to provide essential waste services in conjunction with other site activities in order to reduce safety risks to community members and waste service contractors.
    Waste collection services are approved to commence from 6am in the majority of the Georges River Local Government Area. There are some streets that are approved for early collections at varying times between 4 - 6am given the risks associated with providing collections at any other time. This is consistent with waste services provided across Sydney.

  • Will my bins still be collected on a public holiday?
    If your waste collection service day falls on a public holiday, your bin will still be collected. Collections start at 4.00am on public holidays, 3.00am on Christmas Day and Good Friday due to the Resource Recovery Centre opening hours.
  • How do I report my damaged or missing bin?

    Please log a request a request in our Log It / Fix It platform for any enquiries regarding your kerbside household bin service, including:

    • Bin replacement

    • Bin repairs

    • Missed collection services

    • Collection spillages

    • Any other enquiries regarding your kerbside household bin service.

  • How can I report missed bin or street collections?

    This may be due to driver error or your street may have been blocked by vehicles or roadworks. If collection has not occurred by 4.00pm, please request this through our Log It / Fix It platform.

    Other reasons why include:
    • Overfull bins or heavy bins may not be collected.

    • Items that are placed alongside or on top of bins are unable to be collected.

    • Please ensure that the bin lid can close completely.

  • Where should I store my bins?
    Your bins must be stored on your property and must not be left on the kerbside. Unit complexes often have designated waste storage areas where bins must be placed.
  • Why was waste left in my bins after collection?

    Waste sometimes becomes compacted at the bottom of bins and may not fall out when upturned.

    Loosen any compacted material then you can request another collection by visiting Council's Log It / Fix It platform.  

  • How often do I get a Kerbside Clean Up?
    Every residential property in the Georges River area is entitled to two clean up services per calendar year.

    Depending on the Ward your property is located in, will determine if your Kerbside Clean Up is prescheduled or on-call.

    For more information, visit the Kerbside Clean Up webpage.
  • When should I place my bins out for collection?

    Your bin should be placed on the kerbside the night before the day of the collection (check your collection day by visiting the Your Waste and Recycling page and inserting your property address). Your bin should be placed close to the kerb with the lid opening towards the road. Avoid placing bins under low trees or powerlines, and ensure your bins are approximately 30cm apart.

    To prevent spillage, ensure your bin is not overflowing (weight restriction apply to all bins) and the lid is properly closed.  Overfull bins may not be collected.

    Please do not jam material into bins.

    Items that are placed next to or on top of bins are unable to be collected. 

    To find out more about your waste collection visit our What goes in my bin web page.

  • How do I order a new, larger or additional bin?

    You will need to apply for an additional residential bin service you are required to complete the Residential Waste Application Form. This is required to obtain a new or additional red, green or yellow bin.

    Please keep in mind that any additional waste service will incur the appropriate pro-rated fee as per the Council’s Schedule of Fees and Charges.


  • Can I get a discount on my bin service?
    Additional or larger waste bins are available at a discounted rate for large families with 4 or more children or if you have a medical condition.

    For a larger family discount, a valid Medicare card listing the children and proof of address along with the completed application form needs to be provided.

    For a medical condition discount, a letter from the doctor confirming the requirement for medical waste and proof of address must be provided along with the application form.
  • What should I do about food waste?
    Council encourage the community to reduce, reuse and recycle. You can reuse food waste by using a compost bin, worm farm or bokashi bin. Visit the At-Home Waste Activities and Reminders page for more information on this.

    Food waste may also be placed in your red-lidded general waste bin if you cannot reuse it. 
  • How do I start composting?
    The Compost Revolution website is a great resource for composting. By undertaking the simple composting tutorial and quiz you will quickly learn how to convert your food and garden waste into compost.

    You can also purchase composting equipment from the Compost Revolution website and, residents of Georges River Council will receive a 50% discount and free delivery.
  • How do I dispose of plastic and glass bottles and their lids?

    Clean plastic and glass bottles free from food residue can be recycled through the return and earn scheme. Visit the Return and Earn website for guidelines.

    Bottle tops cannot be recycled in the Return and Earn Vending Machines, so please recycle these through your yellow-lidded recycling bin.

    Otherwise, you may place your plastic and glass bottles into your yellow-lidded recycling bin. Just remember, if the cap is larger than a 50-cent coin you can separate before recycling, if it is not please keep it screwed on. Small caps can jam the machinery at the Material Recovery Facility, slowing down our recycling efforts.

  • What do the recycling numbers mean on plastics?
    Further information on the numbers printed on plastics is outlined in my What Goes in my Bin  web page. 
  • What can I do with my unwanted clothes?

    If your unwanted clothes cannot be passed on, reused or sold, you may wish to donate them to local charity stores or visit clothing donation bins outside the local area including H&M clothing stores.

    Please note: Charity stores do not accept damaged goods and some stores may be temporarily closed.

    Items which are placed near or around clothing donation bins are classified as illegally dumped.

  • What can I put in my bins?
    What goes into your bins depends on the colour of the bin lid.

    Please refer to our What Goes in my Bin web page for more details.
  • Can I recycle pizza boxes?
    If pizza boxes are not heavily contaminated with food waste, they can be recycled.

    A small amount oil on the base is OK! However, if your pizza box is marred with excessive amounts of oil and cheese, rip off the clean top of the box and place it in the yellow-lidded recycle bin and placing the contaminated bottom in the red-lidded general waste bin.
  • What happens to garden and green waste from my garden organics bin?
    Council transports garden organic waste to a Resource Facility where garden organic materials are composted and turned into a soil-like product for reuse in land applications.
  • What waste services can I receive for my business?
    To find information about the waste services Council provide to businesses, visit the Businesses web page under Waste.
  • Waste requirements for people in isolation or with positive COVID-19 results
    The NSW EPA and NSW Health have advised that anyone who has tested positive to COVID  - 19 or is currently in self-isolation must dispose of their double - bagged household waste in a lined red lidded general waste bin.

    To align with this advice, Council urges any residents who have tested positive to COVID- 19, or are in self-isolation, to double bag household waste ( including recyclables) while infectious ( or potentially infectious).  If you are in this category, all your household waste must be disposed of in your red-lidded general waste bin. Plastic bags must never be placed in the yellow-lidded recycle bin.

    When presenting bins kerbside, please ensure that bin lids are closed and that bins are not overflowing with waste.

    Once the spread of COVID - 19 is controlled or risk is mitigated, recyclables can again be placed unbagged in the yellow-lidded recycling bins.

Your feedback allows us to measure our customer's satisfaction with our website content.

If you wish to raise a particular issue with us, we recommend you raise a Customer Service Request. This will ensure your matter is scheduled with the appropriate teams and will allow you to track the progress of the issue.


We monitor all feedback and endeavour to use your comments to improve our website. Please include your email address.


Did you find this content useful?

Your feedback allows us to measure our customers' satisfaction with our website content.

If you wish to raise a particular issue with us, we recommend you raise a Customer Service Request. This will ensure your matter is scheduled with the appropriate teams and will allow you to track the progress of the issue.

Thank you for your feedback.
Georges River Council Live Chat

Welcome to Georges River Council. How can we help?