Georges River Council monitors and investigates all instances of illegal dumping within the local government area (LGA). If you witness illegal dumping or find dumped materials please call Council on 9330 6400 or the Regional Illegal Dumping Squad (RID) on 131 555 to report it. Illegal dumping can:
- Degrade the environment
- Cause health hazards
- Lower property values if areas become less attractive to prospective landowners
- Cost Council and ratepayers money.
It is an offence to illegally dump goods under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997. Significant fines apply to those caught dumping. Council's Environmental Compliance Officers are vigilant in investigating illegal dumping and are currently targeting areas with multi-unit blocks. There are a range of resources available for residents to help target illegal dumping including bin bay signage and educational posters. For more information please call Council's Service Centre on 9330 6400.
Non illegal options of disposing of unwanted non-recyclable waste include:
Rockdale Resource Recovery Park in Lindsay Street, Rockdale
The Lucas Heights Resource Recovery Park on New Illawarra Road
- Council’s free Kerbside Cleanup Service
- Websites including Facebook buy and sell pages, Ebay and Gumtree
- Holding a garage sale or drop off to a charity shop if still in usable condition
- Drop off at one of the following waste management facilities: