Text size:

Types of Food Business

A "food business" is defined under the Food Act as
  • The handling of food intended for sale, and/or
  • The sale of food
regardless of whether the business, enterprise or activity concerned is of a commercial, charitable or community nature, or whether it involves the handling or sale of food on one occasion only. 
Where relevant, food businesses are subject to complying with the following legislative requirements: Food businesses are classed as ‘general’, ‘home’ or ‘temporary’ businesses.

General food businesses

General food businesses include, but not limited to, bakeries, bed and breakfasts, bistros, caf├ęs, canteens, caterers, delicatessens, health food shops, home businesses, kiosks, licensed clubs, restaurants, bars, supermarkets, fruit and vegetable shops, corner stores and so on. 

I plan to open a new food business. What should I do?  

During the planning stage it is highly recommended that you seek free advice from Council on the type of approval you may need. Sometimes a Development Application may be required to be lodged, or in other cases a Complying Development Consent is needed. To find out more, talk to Council’s Duty Planner on 02 9330 6400 or email mail@georgesriver.nsw.gov.au

How should I fit out my new food business?

In addition to the legislative requirements, the fit out of the new business must be in accordance with Australian Standards AS4674:2004 – Design construction and fit-out of food premises. A copy of the Australian Standards can be purchased on line or viewed at Council’s libraries. 

I plan to purchase an existing food business, what information can I obtain from Council?

There are a few options available when purchasing an existing food business.
  1. Obtain the condition of consent for the existing food business: this document will provide you with conditions placed on the existing food business. Information may include the hours of operation and any restriction on the use.
  2. Request to obtain the last food inspection report: the last food inspection report can obtained from Council through GIPAA – Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009. It is important to understand that comments on this report represents the time when it was inspected and may not be current at the time of your purchase.

Home food businesses

Approval and notification is required to operate a home base food business. For more information contact Council’s Duty Planner on 02 9330 6400 or email mail@georgesriver.nsw.gov.au
For any questions regarding notification of your home food business, contact Council’s Environmental Health Officers on 9330 6400. 
Further information regarding home base food business can be found in the NSW Food Authority website.

Temporary food businesses

This includes temporary food stalls and mobile food vehicles that operate on public land or public road ways that are not a permanent structure.
Approval (known as Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993) must be obtained to carry out activities such as temporary food stalls on public land or public road. For further information regarding how to obtain approval, please contact Council’s Events team on 9330 6400.
In addition to the legislative requirements listed above: