Text size:

Environmental Protection

Georges River Council is dedicated to protecting our environment from pollution. Types of pollution include:  
The Protection of the Environment Operations Act and Regulations have been put in place to protect our environment and to ensure that activities carried out by individuals and businesses do not negatively impact on community members.    
If you see or are affected by pollution, please contact Council on 9330 6400 or email mail@georgesriver.nsw.gov.au

Neighbourhood noise

Neighbourhood noise, including sounds from animals, alarm, machines and parties can cause annoyance or tension within the community. There are restrictions put in place if noise becomes a nuisance. These restrictions are stipulated in the Protection of the Environment (Noise Control) Regulation 2008. They include:     
Noise source Not acceptable
Power tools and equipment including:
  • lawn mowers and leaf blowers
  • electric or pneumatic tools
  • chainsaws
  • circular saws
  • gas or air compressors
  • swimming pool or spa pumps
Before 8am and after 8pm on Sundays and public holidays
Before 7am and after 8pm on any other day
Musical instruments or electrically amplified sound equipment:
  • radios
  • televisions
  • CD and DVD players
  • sound systems
Before 8am and after midnight on any Friday, Saturday, or the day immediately before a public holiday
Before 8am and after 10pm on any other day
Air conditioners and heat pump water heaters Before 8am and after 10pm on weekends and public holidays
Before 7am and after 10pm on any other day
Motor vehicles apart from normal entry and exit from residential premises
Refrigeration units fitted to motor vehicles
Before 8am and after 8pm on weekends and public holidays
Before 7am and after 8pm on any other day
(Tabled information provided by EPA)
If you are affected by neighbourhood noise, there are several things you can do. 

Talk to people

Often people do not realise they are causing a noise nuisance and are willing to work with you to resolve the problem.

Contact a Community Justice Centre

If the noise continues, you can contact a community justice centre. This government-funded independent organisation specialised in settling difference between neighbours without entering complicated legal processes. Community Justice Centre provides free mediation. For more information click here.

Contacting the police or Council

Under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997, both Council and police may be able to assist you with your noise issue. When contacting Council about a noise problem, you may be required to keep a noise diary to assist with the investigation. 

Obtaining a noise abatement order

If you are continuously being affected by a source of noise, you can take independent action by seeking a noise abatement order from the courts. If the court is satisfied that the neighbour is causing an offensive noise or that the noise is likely to recur, it may order them to stop or prevent recurrence. If the person fails to comply with the order, they could be prosecuted.