Georges River Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel (IHAP)
What is the Georges River Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel?
On the 19 May 2016, Georges River Council resolved to establish the Georges River Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel (IHAP).
The IHAP is made up of professionals and community representatives with the full delegation of the Council to make decisions on certain applications.
Some benefits of establishing an IHAP for Georges River Council include:
- Decisions relating to the current and future built environment are being made by experts in the field of urban design, town planning and law;
- The community is still involved in the assessment and decision making process at various stages of the IHAP process;
- Another level of 'independent' professional assessment is undertaken of significant applications, decreasing the likelihood of legal action and/or strengthening Council's case where a matter proceeds to the NSW Land and Environment Court;
- The 'politics' is removed from the planning, development assessment and decision making process; and
- Councillors and Council staff will have more time and resources to focus on strategic and policy related projects and services to benefit the community.
Addressing the Panel
If you wish to address the Georges River Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel, you must first register with the IHAP Coordinator by 12 noon on the day before the scheduled meeting. To register, complete the Application to Address the IHAP Form and email the form to IHAP@georgesriver.nsw.gov.au Those persons who have not made a formal submission during the neighbour notification process, but still wish to address the Panel must register with the IHAP Coordinator 24 hours before the scheduled meeting.
Speakers will be limited to a three minute address.
The IHAP meeting process
- Prior to the IHAP meeting which commences at 4pm, the Panel members will undertake site inspections of the proposed development sites.
- The public meeting of the Georges River IHAP commences at 4.00pm (schedule below). All meetings are held at Kogarah Civic Centre or Hurstville Civic Centre, check the venue below.
- The meeting is run in accordance with the order of the items on the Agenda and registered speakers are invited to address the Panel. Once all speakers for each item have addressed the Panel, the public meeting closes and the Panel members deliberate in a closed session.
- The Panel members make decisions on the day of the scheduled meeting and those decisions will be published on this website the following business day.
Where can I find more information?
More information about the Panel members, how the meeting is run, the types of applications which are referred to the Georges River Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel and how decisions are made are outlined in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).