skip to main content
About rates

Visit Council's Pay my rates page to pay your Rates and Charges.

Issue of Council Rates and Charges Notices and Payment Deadlines

There are two options available to pay your rates and charges:
  • Option 1 – Pay full yearly amount by 31 August.
  • Option 2 – Pay by quarterly instalments. This is automatically determined when the full yearly amount is not paid by 31 August.
The below table outlines when Rates and Charges Notices are sent out and due for payment.

Amount listed on notice

Notice issued to

Notice issue date

Payment due

Annual Notice

All instalment amounts for the financial year (1 Jul to 30 Jun) All ratepayers in the local government area. End of July 
Due to COVID-19,  this notice was issued in August 2020.
Annual amount or 1st quarterly instalment due by 31 August
Extended to 30 September in 2020 due to COVID-19.

2nd Instalment Notice

Instalment amount for the quarter period only Ratepayers paying by instalment only End of October 30 November

3rd Instalment Notice

Instalment amount for the quarter period only Ratepayers paying by instalment only End of January 28 February

4th Instalment Notice

Instalment amount for the quarter period only Ratepayers paying by instalment only  End of April 31 May


If you have recently purchased a new property during the year and some instalment due dates have passed (or if the notice is issued within 30 days of an instalment due date), you may receive a Rates & Charges Annual Notice which may not have four instalment payments. For these notices, the amounts levied are split over future instalment due dates in the same financial year. In this case, you will revert back to four instalments the next financial year.

If you have changed your domestic waste service or pensioner rebate eligibility during the year, your instalment amounts will be adjusted accordingly.

Didn't receive your Rates and Charges Notice?

Please email us or call our Customer Service Centre on 02 9330 6400 and provide the following details:

  • Full name of registered owner(s)
  • Contact details
  • Property address
  • Postal address

Payment of Your Rates and Charges

Visit Council's Pay my rates page to pay your Rates and Charges. 

It is important to make your payments by the due date to avoid being charged penalty interest. Penalty interest will apply on any unpaid amounts as they fall due.


Penalties for Late Payments

If you fail to pay your rates by the due date, interest will start accruing each day on the outstanding amount. Unless you have a payment arrangement with Council, recovery action may commence at any time after the due and payable date. 

This situation can occur because Council may not have your current postal address. It is your responsibility to inform Council when your details change. To update your details, complete a Rates and Charges - Change of Postal Address form to update. 

Overdue Rates and Recovery Action

Where an account is overdue, Council may take legal action to enforce and recover the overdue amount. This will incur additional costs payable by the property owner. Such action may also affect the owner’s credit file.

If you have received a legal notice from Council's debt recovery agent, please contact them directly to discuss your financial situation. If you are facing financial hardship, complete the form on our Hardship Assistance page. We are unable to remove any additional costs or remove details from your credit file if you do not inform us before the action has commenced.

Interest Charges on Rates

Interest will be charged when you fail to pay your rate notice or rate instalment by the due date. Interest accrues daily, starting from the first day after the due date. The rate of interest is set by Council but does not exceed State Government regulation percentages. The best way to avoid being charged interest on your rates is to make sure payment is made before the due date.

Overpayment of Your Rates

Additional payments stay on the rates account and are automatically applied to any remaining instalments. Overpayment of rates can only be refunded if your rates account is in credit. This means that all the rates for the remainder of the current rating year must be paid in full.

To apply for a refund, complete the Rates Overpayment Refund Application form and include sufficient evidence of the overpayment such as a bank statement or receipt A refund fee is applicable and will be deducted from the refund amount.


Click to view Rates Frequently Asked Questions


I want to...

  • Pay my rates

    You can pay your rates by phone, direct debit, BPAY, at the Post Office or at one of Georges River Council Customer Service Centres. Please see your rates notice for details about these types of payments or visit Council's Pay my rates page.

    The quickest and easiest way to pay your rates is with BPAY or via a credit/debit card using the internet or phone. The phone number for this service is Ph: 1300 323 269.  You will need your Biller code (34405), your customer reference number (which can be found on your rates notice) and a Visa, MasterCard or American Express card.

    Please note the following for credit card payments:

    • American Express – 1.4% surcharge

    • Visa and Mastercard – Nil surcharge

    • Diners Club – Not accepted

    Diners Club is no longer accepted.

  • Set up direct debit for my rates payments

    Ratepayers can arrange to have their bank account debited on a quarterly or annual basis by completing a Rates Direct Debit Form

    This form can be used for new arrangements or for amendments to existing arrangements.  This application can take approximately 10 working days to process so please keep this in mind if a due date is approaching. Please refer to the form for submission dates.

    If you wish to cancel an existing arrangement, please advise council in writing. 

  • Change my postal address for rates notices

    It is your responsibility to advise Council of your new address and contact details. To update your details complete the online Change of Postal Address form on our website.

    Please note: A change of address will not be accepted by Council over the telephone.

  • Receive my rates notices by email

    Ratepayers may register here to receive their notices via email instead of by post. The notice and any other information is attached in Adobe PDF form.

    If you have registered to receive your rates notice by email it is important that you still update your postal address details as some other important correspondence from Council may still be sent in the mail.


  • Receive my rates notices via BPAY View

    To receive your rates notices via BPAY View instead of via post, please apply through your financial institution.

  • Update my name on my Rates and Charges Notice

    Council records reflect the name that is listed on the Certificate of Title for your land.

    If your change of name is due to sale, purchase, marriage or change of name certificate you will need to officially change your name on your land title first. Contact NSW Land Registry Services on telephone 02 8776 3575 or visit their website at for further information.

    If you wish to change the name due to death, Council will update the title of the deceased individual to “Estate of the Late” after receiving a copy of the Death Certificate or advice from Centrelink during the Pension rebate confirmation process.

    Name details are only updated after we receive advice from the NSW Land Registry Services.

Did you find this content useful?

Your feedback allows us to measure our customers' satisfaction with our website content.

If you wish to raise a particular issue with us, we recommend you raise a Customer Service Request. This will ensure your matter is scheduled with the appropriate teams and will allow you to track the progress of the issue.

Thank you for your feedback.
Georges River Council Live Chat

Welcome to Georges River Council. How can we help?