Kogarah Art Prize
The Kogarah Art Prize is an open themed annual acquisitive prize for painting in any medium. In 2016, Council offered prizes valued at a total of $14,000.
This year's Kogarah Art Prize winners
- Kogarah Art Prize ($10,000): Vittoria Oriana Boundaries
- Place of Reeds Prize for a Local Artist ($3,000 + solo exhibition): Sabrina Martins Loule Rodriguez mi hombre
- Commended ($500): Steve Salo Romany Latham, Actor, Back to Back Theatre
- Commended ($500): Yvonne Ferguson Relics
- Packing Room Prize (Sponsored by Novotel Brighton Beach): Bronwen Bassett Clovelly Sea
The 2016 Kogarah Art Prize judge was Dr Gene Sherman AM. Dr Sherman is Chair and Executive Director of Sherman Contemporary Art Foundation (SCAF), a philanthropic organisation dedicated to exhibiting significant contemporary art from Australia, Asia-Pacific and the Middle East. For 21 years Dr Sherman was the Director of Sherman Galleries. As a gallerist, curator, academic and philanthropist, Dr Sherman has made a significant contribution to the Australian cultural landscape and it is an honour to have her judge this year’s Kogarah Art Prize.
History of the Prize
First held in 2012, the Kogarah Art Prize has grown in popularity and prestige. The Prize offers artists from the local area and beyond, the opportunity to enter their works for judging. The exhibition showcases the finalists' works and offers the community an experience to celebrate art and enjoy the rich culture of the area.
Winning works in the Kogarah Art Prize and Place of Reeds Prize become the property of Council and form part of an art collection located throughout Kogarah's Civic Centre. Tours of the collection occur seasonally.