Georges River Council endeavours to create a safe and comfortable environment for the community. However we encourage members of the public to consider the following suggestions for personal safety.
- Be alert, assertive and walk confidently.
- Try to travel with other people rather than alone.
- Only carry money and wallet in your front pocket and carry your bag in front of you.
- Don't carry valuables such as laptops, iPods and mobiles in the open, keep them out of sight.
- Be aware of your surroundings and avoid long conversations on your mobile while walking.
- Stay in well-lit areas at night.
- If followed, call for help, run to a police station or occupied area.
You can reduce your risk of being assaulted or robbed by following some simple steps:
- Try to avoid using laneways or other isolated areas, especially at night.
- Vary your route for routine activities such as walking to and from work.
- When you go out alone tell someone where you are going.
- Carry a personal alarm.
- Be careful when withdrawing cash from ATMs, try to avoid using ATMs in dark or isolated areas.